Taiwan Bans Find-A-Foreign-Bride Companies
Taiwan is getting tough on mail order brides. Beginning August 1, 2009, asian single women there is a ban on businesses that arrange international marriages. Taiwan’s Immigration Agency claims it desires to stamp out of the practice of Taiwanese guys selecting Chinese or South-East Asian brides online. Businesses can not any longer just just simply take Taiwanese guys on blind-date trips of Asian countries to choose a bride. All Taiwanese males hoping to marry an international girl must now affect a government agency that is approved. These businesses cannot charge a matchmaking cost. The only cash that is now able to alter fingers is for airfares and resort hotels for international visits. Businesses that make an effort to charge for arranging marriages may be fined as much as $US 30,000.
This new laws are element of Taiwan’s new Immigration Act. The island nation desires to reduce steadily the quantity of fraudulent marriages. The past legislation suggested a lot of women joined the country after marrying Taiwanese males, simply to act as prostitutes. There have been a great many other crimes such as for instance insurance coverage frauds. How many international brides arriving in Taiwan has grown considerably. Immigration officials report that around 420,000 international partners, mainly brides, joined Taiwan into the very first 50 % of 2009. This figure compares with 410,000 for the entire of 2008. Taiwan’s men are finding it tough to locate A taiwanese bride. Lots of women are placing their profession ahead of marriage, marrying at a later on age, or perhaps not marrying after all.
1. WEDDING: Walk across the talk and class to many other pupils about wedding. Change lovers frequently. Stay along with your very very first partner(s) and share your findings.
2. TALK: In pairs / groups, determine which of the subjects or terms through the article are most fascinating and that are most boring.
getting tough / mail purchase / immigration / blind dates / matchmaking / marriage / laws / insurance scams / spouses / placing jobs before wedding
Have chat concerning the topics you liked. Change subjects and lovers often.
3. INTERNATIONAL SPOUSE: would it not be tough to marry some body from a different country? Finish this table. Share your ideas. Change share and partner that which you heard.
4. GLOBAL MARRIAGE: pupils A strongly think worldwide marriages are bad; pupils B strongly think worldwide marriages assist the globe. Change lovers once more and discuss your conversations.
5. MAIL-ORDER PARTNER: what’s important in a mail-order partner? Put these if you wish from 1 to 8 (1 is primary). Compare your list together with your partner. Change lovers and share again.
_____ feeling of humour
_____ love of life
_____ wants children
6. DATE: invest about a minute writing out all the words that are different keep company with your message ‘date’. Share your terms together with your partner(s) and explore them. Together, place the terms into various groups.
BEFORE READING / LISTENING
1. REAL / FALSE: go through the article’s headline and imagine whether these sentences are real (T) or false (F):
Taiwan has stopped businesses finding international brides for Taiwan’s guys.
Companies utilized to simply take guys on trips to satisfy wives that are potential.
It really is no more feasible for Taiwanese males to marry a woman that is foreign.
There was a financial fine for organizations whom charge matchmaking charges.
Taiwan really wants to decrease the wide range of international marriages.
There have been numerous situations of international brides ending up as crooks.
There have been more international grooms than brides when you look at the very first 50 % of 2009.
Taiwanese women can be engaged and getting married much more youthful today.
2. SYNONYM MATCH: Match the following synonyms from the content:
3. PHRASE MATCH: Match the phrases that are following this article (sometimes several. combination can be done):
Taiwan is getting tough
of parts of asia
it would like to stamp
affect an authorized
in front of wedding
The only money that is now able to alter
on mail purchase brides
reduce steadily the amount of
other crimes such as for example insurance coverage
out of the training
women can be placing their profession
WHILE READING / LISTENING
GAP FILL: place the terms in to the gaps into the text.
Taiwan is getting that is__________ on mail order brides. Beginning with August 1, 2009, there is certainly a ban on businesses that ____________ worldwide marriages. Taiwan’s Immigration Agency states it desires to stamp out of the practice of Taiwanese guys selecting Chinese or South-East Asian brides ____________. Businesses can not any longer simply simply just take Taiwanese males on blind-date trips of Asian countries to ____________ a bride. All Taiwanese guys hoping to marry a international girl must now ____________ to an approved government agency. These organizations cannot ____________ a matchmaking cost. The only cash that is now able to change ____________ is for airfares and resorts for international visits. Businesses that try to charge for organizing marriages may be ____________ as much as $US 30,000.
The latest regulations are ____________ of Taiwan’s brand brand new Immigration Act. The area country desires to ____________ how many fraudulent marriages. The ____________ laws and regulations implied lots of women joined the nation after marrying Taiwanese guys, simply to act as prostitutes. There were a number of other ____________ such as insurance coverage frauds. The sheer number of international brides showing up in Taiwan has ____________ dramatically. Immigration officials report that around 420,000 foreign ____________, mainly brides, joined Taiwan in the 1st 50 % of 2009. This figure ____________ with 410,000 for the entire of 2008. Taiwan’s men have found it difficult to locate A taiwanese bride. Lots of women are putting their_ that is__________ ahead of wedding, marrying at a later on age, or otherwise not marrying at all.
LISTENING: Listen and fill out the gaps.
Taiwan is getting that is______________ order brides. Beginning with August 1, 2009, there is certainly a ban on businesses that arrange worldwide marriages. Taiwan’s Immigration Agency claims it wants ________________ practice of Taiwanese guys selecting Chinese or South-East Asian brides online. Companies _________________ Taiwanese males on blind-date trips of parts of asia to pick a bride. All Taiwanese men ________________ foreign woman must now affect a government agency that is approved. These businesses ________________ matchmaking fee. The only cash that are now able to alter arms is actually for airfares and accommodations for international visits. Companies that try to charge for organizing marriages ________________ to $US 30,000.
The latest laws are element of Taiwan’s Immigration that is new Act. The area country would like to ________________ of fraudulent marriages. The laws that are previous a lot of women joined the united states after marrying Taiwanese men, ________________ prostitutes. There were ________________ insurance coverage scams. The sheer number of international brides showing up in Taiwan has grown significantly. Immigration officials ________________ 420,000 foreign partners, mainly brides, joined Taiwan in the 1st 1 / 2 of 2009. This figure compares with 410,000 ________________ 2008. Taiwan’s men have found it hard to locate a bride that is taiwanese. Lots of women are placing their profession in front of wedding, marrying ________________, or perhaps not marrying at all.
AFTER READING / LISTENING
1. TERM RE SEARCH: try your dictionaries / computer to get collocates, other definitions, information, synonyms … for the expressed words‘blind’ and ‘date’.
- Share your findings together with your lovers.
- Make concerns making use of the expressed terms you discovered.
- Pose a question to your partner / group your concerns.
2. ARTICLE ISSUES: Look right right back during the article and write some questions down you may like to ask the course in regards to the text.
- Share your questions along with other classmates / groups.
- Pose a question to your partner / group your concerns.
3. GAP FILL: In pairs / groups, compare your responses to the workout. Check always your responses. Talk about the expressed terms through the task. Were they brand new, interesting, worth learning…?
4. LANGUAGE: Circle any expressed words you don’t realize. In teams, pool words that are unknown usage dictionaries to get their definitions.
5. TEST ONE ANOTHER: consider the words below. Along with your partner, make an effort to recall the way they had been utilized into the text:
SCHOLAR GLOBAL MARRIAGE SURVEY
Write five GOOD questions regarding worldwide wedding into the dining table. Repeat this in pairs. Each student must write the concerns on his or her own paper.
When you yourself have completed, meeting other students. Take note of their responses.